I was trying to unlock my Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus phone following instructions like https://c.mi.com/thread-1857937-1-1.html and https://c.mi.com/thread-2262302-1-0.html.
I was not successful as I was hitting an issue with error message "Sorry, your MI ID is not associated with a phone number."
Luckily I have succeeded following instructions from xda-developers.com.
Process I have used is described below. I am not sure all steps were necessary, but ...
- Make sure phone is not attached to USB cable, make phone factory reset: Settings -> About phone -> Backup & reset -> Factory data reset.
- Updated the phone: Settings -> System update.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off and make sure mobile data accessibility is working with inserted SIM card.
- On the phone create new Mi account with current phone number, say yes to all prompts, especially to Mi Cloud and Find Device.
- On the phone in web browser log to account.xiaomi.com and add e-mail address to the account.
- On the phone go to Settings -> About phone and click on MIUI version multiple times until you enable developer options. Go to Settings -> Additional settings -> Developer options and first make long click on OEM unlocking to turn it on. Then turn on USB debugging. Go to Mi Unlock status, add account and make sure phone number is associated.
- Turn off the phone and boot to Fastboot mode by simultaneously pressing power and volume down buttons.
- In Windows install Mi Unlock.
- Log into Mi Unlock, I have used e-mail address associated with Mi Account.
- Connect the phone to computer via USB cable and proceed to unlock. My phone was unlocked right away without any waiting period.
If you have any questions regarding this, feel free to contact me at my e-mail address.